Consider low- and high-tech methods for greater protection and detection.
At APL Access & Security we always start with an in-depth analysis of your property and a deep-dive discussion with customers to determine security issues or risk. As a top-tier systems integrator and consultative security expert, the first critical step is always non-product specific – the site survey and evaluation – and this takes place before any solution is selected.
Once concerns and challenges are identified we work to design-build the perfect system that will deter, delay and detect security breaches. Security is always specific to your business and no two-solutions are designed in the same manner. Cookie-cutter projects never come from APL Access & Security because every business is different, as are their needs.
We begin the analysis outside at the farthest reaches of the premises, looking at the approaches to the property as well as adjacent businesses, especially if there are elevated risks associated with those neighbors. For example, if a customer is near an animal testing laboratory there may be elevated risk because of potential activists or extremists, versus simply having a hardware store located next door.
Here are eight low- and high-tech ways to bolster protection outside the facility:
• Fences, gates and other obstacles such as curved driveways or bollards may prevent a vehicle from entering or traveling at a high rate of speed toward the building.
• Natural access control in the way of landscaping, including trees, bushes, or planters carefully placed to prevent hiding spots add deterrence value.
• Stairways (to slow direct access from vehicles or people on foot) and path lighting, as well as clearly identified footpaths to the front entrance of the facility prevent visitors from wandering and distinguish public areas from private spaces.
• Signs and placards strategically placed notify visitors that the premises are under security detection and surveillance.
• High-intensity and motion-triggered lighting at entrances or exits and especially in multi-level parking areas and spaces add illumination and eliminate covert areas.
• Parking facilities or campus thoroughfares equipped with emergency communication and flashing strobe lights and other visual indicators can be used to initiate two-way communication with call centers or emergency personnel during duress situations.
• Gated entry systems, electronic access control, intercoms, as well as badges or other identification for employees, visitors and temporary construction workers yield additional safeguards and accountability.
• Surveillance cameras and analytics integrated with access control or motion detectors trigger immediate notification to smartphones or email of a potential event, sending real-time video to staff or responding authorities.
APL Access & Security is your local security company with unprecedented professional expertise to provide comprehensive solutions for your business or facility – starting from the outside. Contact us today for your free consultation or site evaluation.